Friday, July 25, 2014

Friday Faves: Welcome to the New World!


It's time for Fourth Friday Faves, and July is all about survival. I've asked authors to list their must-haves for surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. So check out what they had to say and then add your own list in the comments! 


KALI ARGENT
Self-proclaimed patron goddess of reclusiveness, Kali currently resides in the Midwest with her oddly supportive family and tragically misunderstood cat. 
Seriously, though, the cat is evil.

Hmmm, not that I've thought about this - A LOT - or anything, but....
1)   Treehouse – Not your typical treehouse, though. I literally want a one bedroom bungalow in a tree. I live in the Midwest, so a lot of big critters would bother me, and zombies can’t climb trees, right? Plus, it’s the perfect vantage point to spot any would-be marauders who want to take my supplies.

2)   Water – Basic survival 101. Lots of water. I read somewhere once that a couple drops of bleach per gallon of water will keep bacteria out, so I’m going to horde water like some people horde cats.

3)   Bleach – Not only do I need bleach to keep the nasties out of my drinking water, but I’ll also need it to spray around my treehouse to mask my scent from any zombies.

4)   Knives/Swords – I’m not extremely knowledgeable of guns, and I figure I’d eventually run out of ammunition anyway. Blades don’t run out of bullets and suddenly become useless. I’d want a long blade, such as a sword, because killing zombies up close can be messy, but I’d also need a hunting knife or similar for skinning and dressing my food.

5)   Antibiotics – I don’t mean an antivirus, but just standard antibiotics, both oral and topical. If I survive man-eating undead monsters, I refuse to be taken down by a simple cut because it gets infected.

Sometimes, new beginnings come from unexpected places.
To Cecily Baker, being unattached means making her own decisions, living by her own rules, and never answering to anyone. So when her sister drags her to a singles night at a local club—and then ditches her—it only strengthens Cecily’s conviction that dating just isn’t for her.
Pulling double duty as a bouncer and a bartender, Rafe Serento has seen a parade of beautiful women walk through the doors of Electric Mist, but he’s never met anyone like Cecily. Lovely in every sense of the word, and just as stubborn, she challenges everything he thought he wanted in a relationship.
The more Cecily pushes him away, though, the harder Rafe pushes back, and unless they find some common ground, they’ll both end up Alone.
Now available from:




LAURIE ROMA
Okay, first off let me say that we’ve all thought about this. And if you haven’t, we might as well wave bye bye to you right now, because clearly you would be one of the first to go. Now, keeping the principles of The Walking Dead and the essential rules from Zombieland in mind (such as the double tap and cardio) here are the five things I would need to survive the zombie apocalypse:

1)    Shelter. Well, of course the ideal situation would be to figure out a way to get my ass in somewhere like NORAD, or some other type of bunker hidden in the mountains. This way I would have everything I needed: safety, food, water and weapons. This type of impenetrable compound would keep me safe from zombies, Skynet or even aliens that rip out of people’s chests...you get what I mean. This would also allow me to basically wait out the fallout after they nuke the planet. However, we know that there is no ideal plan when it comes to the zombie apocalypse, so I’d want a shelter that is easy to set up a defensive perimeter, that only has a few exits and entrances that could be completely secured. The reason? I’d want to feel safe enough to sleep without worrying about some dead guy nibbling on my toes...and not in a good way. I’m not looking for a permanent home, and if I have to move locations, so be it. As I said, a few good night’s sleep will do me just fine...and help keep me alive.

2)    Sustenance. Basic survival depends on sources of food and water. Haven’t you ever watched Man vs. Wild or any of those shows on the Discovery Channel? If not, again I wave farewell to you.

3)    Weapons. On my wishlist would be a shit-ton of guns. Yes, I’m talking about gaining access to some military base where I’d load up as much as I could to rival the proudest member of the NRA. This would include grenades, and maybe a rocket launcher or two, because why not? Bullets do eventually run out, so for those close quarter situations I’d also want swords...lots and lots of swords. Since I’ve studied Iaido, or samurai sword fighting, I think I could do quite a bit of damage with a blade in my hand, and cutting off a head or two also saves ammo.  

4)    Companions. Some people may be able to exist alone after the world goes to hell, but I don’t think I would be one of them. However, I don’t want to roll with just anyone, and that means no annoying individuals that do nothing but sit on their ass and whine about everything. No, give me a group of guys like Daryl from The Walking Dead, or Tallahassee from Zombieland  and I’d be happy. And the eye candy would be an extra bonus.

5)    The final item on my list is sort of cheating, but hey, this is an imaginary list, so deal with it. What I’d want most is the anti-virus. Yep, that’s right. I’d want a way to end the chaos, or at least stop everyone from becoming creepy, reanimated dead people.

Happy survival everyone!

Jared “Hammer” Caufield is a former Army Ranger and retired professional MMA champion that had to give up his fighting career due to a knee injury. He is a bad boy through and through, but that doesn’t stop him from craving the sweet little bakery owner, even though he knows she is too good for him…
Bakery owner, Kalista Redford, is a woman who has had a difficult past. She has always struggled with her self-esteem, and her last breakup hasn’t done anything to help improve her opinion of herself. When Kalista finds herself pursued by the dark and dangerous man she has secretly dreamed about, will she be able to follow her heart or will past insecurities threaten to ruin her chance at true love?
Quote: "His body was like living art. With thick, corded muscles covered with tattoos, he was the epitome of a bad boy."
Now Available from:
It's Symposium time again! Check out this month's post to see what some of your favorite authors have planned for the rest of the year. Get ready to mark your calendars, because we have some hot releases coming your way!





EVELISE ARCHER
An avid reader and story teller, Evelise Archer is living her dream with her loving husband, two dogs and a rabbit. Fueled by desire for a strong cup of coffee and a passion for literature, Evelise began writing to fill the time left empty by her three now grown children.

1)    25 lb bag of coffee...I figure I can handle that to carry and brew over an open fire

2)    Kindle...and hope that I find a generator to keep it charged

3)    Family Bible...I keep pics, important dates, etc... in it

4)    Pocket Knife...in case I have to fend for myself for food. Although I'm not sure what I'll catch and skin with a pocket knife

5)    Lip scrub- just because we've had a zombie apocalypse doesn't mean I can't have smooth lips

Can Madame Eve work her magic one more time? Leo Santos left the one man he loved behind to care for his ailing father. Sky Macy never forgot his one and only that got away. When they meet again on a blind date setup by 1Night Stand, will they go their separate ways or will the sparks reignite the love they never forgot? 
On a secluded beach at the resort Las Casitas Villas in Fajardo, Leo and Sky come face to face after many years apart. Passion ignites so hot it threatens to burn them from within. They both will need to open their hearts and learn to trust if they hope to find love during one night of passion in a tropical paradise. 
Quote: “Lying back like you are, your dick is poking up from the water every time the waves move out. It’s very sexy.” (Leo to Skyler as they lap in the sea)
Now Available from AMAZON




SUSAN HAYES

Susan lives out on the Canadian west coast surrounded by open water, dear family and good friends. She’s jumped out of perfectly good airplanes on purpose and accidently swum with sharks on the Great Barrier Reef.
If the world ends, she plans to survive as the spunky, comedic sidekick to the heroes of the new world, because she’s too damned short and out of shape to make it on her own for long.
To contact her about her books or to arrange end of the world team-ups, you can email her at susanhayesromance@gmail.come

Yes, I’ve given this a bit of thought, but that’s because I happen to live on an island over two converging fault lines and in view of some beautiful, snow-capped, active, volcanoes. (And I’m also a fan of zombie movies & The Walking Dead.) So, earthquake, aliens or zombies, I’m ready. (at least I hope I am…)
1)    Dental Floss – Snares, stitches, fishing line, it can do it all.

2)    Non-lubed condoms – No, not for that! (well…maybe.) But condoms make incredibly durable water bags/good waterproofing for things like tinder etc that have to stay dry.

3)    Mylar blanket – nothing keeps in body heat better. Works especially well if you have someone to snuggle with.

4)    Flint & Steel – so I can always make a fire/light the Molotov cocktails/cook dinner

5)    My sword – I’d have to leave the two-hander at home, (too heavy) but the short sword would do very nicely for defense.
Everything else, I’d just have to scavenge for.

Sonja Grekov has spent her life in a gilded cage, trapped by her wealthy family’s expectations and the scroll tattoo on her face that declares her to be one of the coveted fertile women on Earth. No longer willing to be a pawn to further her parents’ ambition, she finally finds the courage to break free before she can be claimed in a loveless match. She is determined to set her own path, but never expected where it would take her...
Trevar Storm and Deacon Wilde are Alliance Elites, but there’s nothing elite about their current assignment. They crew one of the oldest freighters in the fleet, ferrying goods across Alliance controlled space with just each other for company. With a reputation for trouble and no chance at promotion, the two men are planning for the day they can go into business for themselves and leave their military lives behind.
A straightforward supply run turns into a life changing event when the two elites discover a treasure hidden in their cargo bay. Keeping their sexy stowaway may bring the full wrath of the Alliance down on their heads, but Trevar and Deacon won’t let her go without a fight. Will their journey end in heartache, or can three misfit hearts find love in the darkness between the stars?
Quote: “If you stay with me, then I’ll make love to you until the stars fall,” he promised, every word exactly the way it had been in her dreams. In that perfect moment, there might have been other answers and other futures out there for her, but Sonja didn’t see any of them.
Now Available From:
 “If you stay with me, then I’ll make love to you until the stars fall,” he promised, every word exactly the way it had been in her dreams. In that perfect moment, there might have been other answers and other futures out there for her, but Sonja didn’t see any of them.




JESS BUFFETT
Jess Buffett was born and raised in New South Wales, Australia. She is a mum of two, married to her high school sweetheart. 
Jess is a hopeless romantic who is a huge fan of M/M and M/F romance with a happy ending—anything with hunky men in all their glory, whether they be Shifters, Vampires, Cowboys, or the boy next door. 
A caffeine addict who shamefully can’t make a decent cup of coffee to save her life, Jess believes in soul mates, happily ever afters, and in love at first sight, but that sometimes people need a second or a third for the brain to catch up.

1)    Trackie dacks and hoodie - Because u need comfy clothes to move in and kill zombies.

2)    Bicycle. Petrol won’t last forever and I wanna move as fast as possible.

3)    Crossbow. You can turn anything into a projectile and who the hell wants to get close enough to use a sword or knife? lol

4)    Vegemite. Spread it all over me because even Zombies wouldn’t want to eat that.

5)    Case of smell good bath soaps and shampoos etc. Because just because zombies are trying to eat your brains doesnt mean you gotta smell like one.
  
Tessa Cardwell’s life changed overnight when she was left to raise her five siblings. When a friend suggested moving to the small town of New Hope, she packed up her family and set out with not a clue of what waited for them there. Used to doing everything on her own, she finds herself in the middle of a life changing experience—that is if she can let go of her inhibition and hold onto the two men fate placed in front of her.
Leontis Harper searched for the woman who turned his life upside down a few months earlier. Determined to find her lands him in New Hope Valley and places him in a situation he has come quite used to—rejection. He had dealt with it his whole life, but he finds rejection hurts more when it comes from the two who were supposed to accept him without question.
Sage Ashcroft is the last White Tiger Alpha. What the Alpha wants he gets, well until now. He finds himself in a situation which could enhance his life or destroy it, if he doesn't learn to compromise. The wrong choice, and he could be the one on the outside looking in on a life that was destined for him.

With the prophesy hanging over their heads, secrets being revealed, and enemies banding together, the New Hope Valley Pride faces many changes. Join in as the Pride gains strength it never knew was possible until the Alpha, the onyx, and the fire combine.
Quote: “There are many reasons why I just kissed you, Tessa. But the most important one...is because I wanted to.”
Tessa grinned. “So arrogant?”
“So honest.”
Now Available From:




1 comment:

Susan Hayes said...

This was fun, Kali! Thanks for inviting me to join in.