Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Carb Wars: Super Easy Peanut Butter Cookies

Cookies are my weakness. Chocolate chip, oatmeal, gingerbread, sugar, snickerdoodle--cookies have been my go-to sweet treat since I was little. My absolute favorite kind of cookies are peanut butter.

I used to help my mom bake them all the time, though my first solo attempt didn't go so well. I believe I was 8 or 9 years old, and the recipe called for vegetable oil. Not knowing any better, I used the "fancy" new garlic flavored vegetable oil my mom had picked up on the last grocery run. Needless to say, my creation didn't really make the cut.



I'm all grown up now, and while my mom has passed on, I still think of her every time I make peanut butter cookies. I've tweaked the original recipe to make it low-carb friendly, and I promise there's no pesky garlic aftertaste. LOL!

Ingredients

1 cup creamy, natural peanut
1 cup granulated sugar substitute -- I use Swerve
1 large egg
2 tbsp steel cut oats
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp granulated sugar substitute

Directions

Combine peanut butter, 1 cup sugar substitute, egg, and vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until well blended, about 2-3 minutes. Place the batter in the freezer to chill for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Combine the remaining 2 tbsps of sugar substitute and cinnamon in a shallow bowl or plate.

Use a tablespoon-sized measuring spoon to scoop the chilled batter into balls and roll each through the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on a greased cookie sheet (or you can use tin foil) and flatten with the tines of a fork to form a criss-cross pattern.

Bake at 350 degrees for 11 minutes. Allow to cool and firm on a wire rack before serving. Yields 18 cookies.