Saturday, August 9, 2014

Carb Wars: Cream Cheese Brownie Mugcake



I was 15 when the doctors diagnosed me with GERD. For those who aren't familiar, GERD stands for Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease. It's a form of chronic heartburn, and let me tell you, it hurts like hell. I took medication for years just to be able to eat anything without suffering, and it wasn't just the heartburn. The medication the doctors put me on caused other digestive problems, and it all just made me miserable.

About four months ago, I discovered an article linking carbs to GERD. It seemed legit, and honestly, after 15 years of pain, I was willing to try anything. In summary, my stomach doesn't produce enough acid. This means my body suffers from carbohydrate malabsorption, meaning it can't absorb or process most carbs, which causes bacterial overgrowth, and this leads to bloating or expansion of the stomach. This is what causes acid reflux, heartburn, and indigestion.

After a bit more research, I decided to try the Atkin's diet since it seemed the easiest to follow, and this would be a lifelong change for me. And you know what? It worked! It's now been 3 months since I've had to take my reflux prescription, and I feel better than I have in years! 

Avoiding carbs and finding alternatives has been a challenge, though, especially when trying to cook something my entire family will eat. I choose to look at it as an adventure, though, and I hope you'll come along with me for the ride! 


CREAM CHEESE BROWNIE MUGCAKE



I love chocolate! Chocolate, however, has a lot of sugar and a lot of carbs. So, what's a girl to do when she needs a chocolate fix? Improvise, of course! 

Ingredients

3 oz cream cheese, softened
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 tsp sugar substitute, divided
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/8th tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp vanilla extract, divided

Instructions

Melt the butter in a coffee mug in the microwave. About 15 seconds will do the trick. Add cocoa, baking powder, egg, 1 tsp sugar substitute (I use Splenda) and 1/4 tsp vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.



In a separate bowl, soften the cream cheese in the microwave for about 20 seconds. Add the remaining vanilla extract and 1/2 tsp sugar substitute. Mix until smooth. Pour into the mug on top of the chocolate mixture, but don't stir them together. 

Cook in the microwave for 1 minute and 40 seconds. Top it off with a tablespoon of Smucker's Sugar-Free Hot Fudge and enjoy! 



No comments: