Sunday, September 14, 2014

Carb Wars: Chicken Fiesta Soup

I've been buried so deep in the writing cave, I completely missed this week's Carb Wars recipe! I'll admit a little part of me almost skipped this week, but I'd promised this recipe to a couple of people, and because I'm a good friend, I just had to post it.


This recipe is sure to please even the pickiest eaters, especially because it's easy to customize. If you don't like vegetables, leave them out. I promise the soup will taste just as good without them. My husband is not a soup fan, but I had to fight him for the last bowl when I made this the other night. On a side note, he won, and I can't even deal with that right now.




Ingredients

2 lbs chicken (breast or thigh, depending on your preference)
1 packet of ranch dressing mix (I like Wishbone)
1 packet of taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso)
2 cups of low-sodium chicken stock
1 can of Campbell's Fiesta Nacho Cheese condensed soup

Directions

For my soup, I use chicken thighs, but boneless, skinless chicken breasts work just as well. It's really just a matter of taste. However, if you're using frozen chicken, I do recommend thawing it first.

Drop the chicken into a slow cooker/crockpot. Mix the ranch dressing packet and the taco seasoning packet with the chicken stock and pour over the chicken. Cook on low heat for 6 hours.



After six hours, shred the chicken by raking the tines of two forks across it in opposite directions. Return the shredded chicken back to the slow cooker, add the condensed soup and frozen vegetables, mix well. Continue cooking on HIGH heat for 30 to 40 minutes.

Top this soup with sour cream, shredded cheese, a few bacon crumbles, or enjoy it just as it is. :)