Saturday, September 27, 2014

Carb Wars: Lasagna Stuffed Spaghetti Squash

This weeks Carb Wars recipe is brought to you by the fabulous Susan Hayes! I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks so yummy! It's going on my list, and you can bet this will be in my kitchen very soon.

Enjoy!





I came across a great many variations of this recipe online, took a bit from this one and that one, and then added my own favorites
If you prefer more “sauce’ then you might want to add crushed tomatoes or a proper tomato sauce instead of the diced tomatoes I used.

Ingredients
*Note. These amounts are for 2 smaller squash, adjust as needed.
Spaghetti squash.  (I prefer smallish ones, they are easier to cut and each serving = one half shell.)
½ cup skim ricotta cheese.
½ cup skim mozzarella cheese.
A dash of fresh Parmesan cheese.
1 can Diced tomatoes. (I like fire roasted ones, they have lots of wonderful flavor)
½ pound Lean ground beef, turkey, chicken or Italian sausage. (I used mild Italian sausage)
Veggies. I like a lot of veggies in my sauce, so I used chopped zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper and a small amount of onion. Total amount, 2 cups of veggies.
2 tbsp of olive oil
Seasonings: Italian herbs. Salt. Pepper. Red pepper flakes. Chives, parsley.


Directions
Start by cutting the squash in half length wise and then scraping out the seeds and membrane. Brush on a light coat of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. (I actually only add pepper at this stage.)
Place face down on a baking sheet and place in a 375 degree oven for 35-45 minutes. Longer if the squash are larger, but keep an eye on them so you don’t cross the line from roasted to charred briquette.
While the squash are cooking, brown the meat in the olive oil and then add the veggies and tomatoes, add your favorite seasonings, then simmer. Give all the ingredients time to meld their flavors, then set aside.
Mix ricotta with other cheeses. I added a dash of fresh chives and a bit of parsley to the mix as well. Set aside.
When the squash are ready, remove from oven but leave it on. Let the squash cool for at least 10 minutes to avoid burning yourself. When you turn them over, steam will escape, so be careful. Using a fork, fluff up the inside of the squash. Side to side = longer strings of “spaghetti.” Don’t work too hard at it, just fluff what comes easily.
Divide the ricotta cheese mix equally between the shells, leaving a few tablespoons aside. Add to the newly fluffed squash. Then spoon the meat sauce onto the cheese mixture, packing it down lightly as you go. Finish off with the last of the ricotta mixture, sprinkle mozzarella on top, and place back in the oven for 15 minutes, until the cheese is golden.
Mix the squash with the stuffing and enjoy!






No comments: