Friday, September 5, 2014

Carb Wars: Taco Breakfast Scramble

While they say breakfast is the most important meal of the day, it's also the hardest for me. I'm a night owl, always have been, and when the rest of the world is waking up to begin their day, I'm usually just preparing for bed. It might be a little unconventional, but it's a schedule that works for me and my family.

I admit it; I don't cook breakfast very often. When I do, it's almost impossible to find something that everyone will eat. One kid doesn't like eggs. The other pre-teen doesn't like cheese -- I'm convinced it's a phase he'll outgrow. My husband says he doesn't like bacon, but I don't believe him. Everyone loves bacon, right?

This recipe was one of my experiments. You know what I mean. One of those "let's throw a bunch of stuff into a bowl and see what happens" kind of meals. Thankfully, it turned out super delicious!


Ingredients 

1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
4 slices of bacon, diced
4 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup bell pepper, chopped (red, yellow, and/or orange)
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1/2 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 packet taco seasoning (I used Old El Paso)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese


Directions 

Preheat oven 425 degrees

In a large skillet, brown the ground beef and diced bacon on medium-high heat. Add the onions and peppers and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Turn off the burner, add the taco seasoning and mix well. 


Drain excess grease and empty the contents of the pan into a 1 quart casserole dish. Cover the top of the meat mixture with the beaten eggs.

Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Remove casserole from the oven and top with shredded cheese. Bake for an additional 3-5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream and a tablespoon of salsa.