Saturday, October 4, 2014

Carb Wars: Beef and Broccoli Soup



Ah, the art of leftovers. In a house with three boys, you'd think leftovers wouldn't happen, but alas, they do with alarming frequency. And of course, my boys (including the hubby) find second-day food an insult to their delicate palates.

My kids when I suggest leftovers.

My husband when I suggest leftovers.

Needless to say, I've had to come up with some pretty creative ways to make new meals out of old ones. This recipe comes from left over pot roast -- delicious left over pot roast, if I do say so myself, but we'll talk about that another time.

It's easy, it's quick, and it's pretty much idiot proof.

Ingredients

Leftover pot roast, shredded
10 oz beef broth (low sodium if you can find it)
1 cup water
2 tbs soy sauce (again, go for the reduced sodium)
12 oz package of chopped frozen broccoli
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 package Lipton Beef and Onion Soup mix
1 package Lipton Onion and Mushroom Soup mix
1/2 tsp pepper (or to taste)

Directions

Dump everything into a stock pot and mix well. Cook covered on low heat for about half an hour or until the broccoli is tender. Seriously. that's it! 

Enjoy and don't forget to tip your waitress.